8iRWeiXjcKj9kUz5Tebo4_k_FtY Life with Two Special Needs Children: Remembering - 9.11.01

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering - 9.11.01

As most people remember exactly where they were 10 years ago today, I can remember exactly where I was.  I was working at Wyrick, Robbins, Yates & Ponton sitting at my desk.  I had just tried to get on the Internet to look up something for the document I was working on and I couldn't get connected.  Then my phone rang.  When I answered it, the only thing I heard from my husband was, "They finally got us."  When he told me what happened I was completely in shock.

Then I panicked.  I had no idea what my dad's flying schedule was.  At that time, he was flying for Frontier Airlines and they flew into New York.  But I had no idea whether my dad was flying or was off.  I tried calling and couldn't get him at home, on his cell phone and I paged him MULTIPLE times to no avail.

Someone set up a television in the conference room on the floor that we were on and many of us were standing, watching in complete silence.  One of my co-workers was pregnant and her mom was on a plane at the time, flying into Raleigh for her baby shower that was that upcoming weekend.  We all did our best to comfort and support her.

My immediate supervisor was on a business trip and he started calling and checking on all of us.  He ended up having to rent a car and drive home a couple of days later, due to planes still being grounded.

I remember not being able to concentrate at all, as I still could not get a hold of my dad.  I called and called and still couldn't get through.  I ended up calling my parents' neighbors and woke them up, as they had been at the hospital all night with one of their sons who had had an emergency appendectomy, so they had no idea what had happened.  They did get up and look outside and saw my dad's truck, which meant that he was home.  I called my parents' house again and was finally able to talk to my dad.  What a relief that was!

That day forever changed our country.  I am so thankful for all the military members, police officers and fire fighters who serve us and put their lives on the line on a daily basis to protect us.  I pray that God would give His peace to all who lost loved ones 10 years ago today!

No comments: