8iRWeiXjcKj9kUz5Tebo4_k_FtY Life with Two Special Needs Children: Book Review: "You're Going to Be Okay," by Holley Gerth

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Book Review: "You're Going to Be Okay," by Holley Gerth

Another book that caught my eye when I was looking through the books available in February to review was "You're Going to be Okay," by Holley Gerth.  You see, there has been a lot of tough stuff going on in our family which has caused my depression to kick into overdrive.  Even though I am currently on two different medications for that, there are still days that I wonder if I will make it through. 

Raising multiple special needs children is tough.  In fact, today was really emotionally draining for me.  While Caleb is almost chronologically 12, cognitively he is only 3.  I tell him the same thing every morning about NOT putting his socks and shoes on at the kitchen table and yet he doesn't seem to comprehend.  Then after church at a leadership luncheon that Tony and I had he had to go to the bathroom, so I took him.  i had to prompt him each step of the way.  It's those types things that emotionally drain me. 

And then to add in everything that is going on with Cassidy right now, it just really throws me over the edge.  So there really are days when I do not know if I am going to be okay!  So I jumped at the chance to read this book.

As I was reading the book the other day, Tony asked me, "So, are you going to be okay?"  And I was like, "Huh?"  I was so engrossed into the book that it took me a minute to realize what he was talking about!!!

Unfortunately, I only made it through half of the book before I had to start to write this review to meet the deadline.  But what I have read I have really liked.  Ms. Gerth writes in a way that is personable and like you are sitting across the table having a cup of hot chocolate.  As you are going through the chapters there are thought provoking questions to work through. 

I can't wait to finish working through the book so that I can find the joy, resilience and strength no matter what life brings -- and life surely brings a lot!!!!!


No comments: