8iRWeiXjcKj9kUz5Tebo4_k_FtY Life with Two Special Needs Children: A Weekend Away

Sunday, March 6, 2011

A Weekend Away

You hear as young couples that when you start adding children to your family that it's important to make sure you make time for just couple time.  I know my parents did this, including weekends or trips by themselves.  When you have special needs children though, it's that much more difficult to get that couple time.  We're very fortunate to have Parent's Night Out at our church one night a month, 10-months out of the year and a wonderful respite organization, ROCKO, that gives us a much needed respite for approximately four hours a couple times a month.

But when you start thinking about trying to get a weekend away, it becomes much more difficult - especially when you do not have extended family living in the same area as you.  Tony and I are very fortunate (and very grateful) to have a great friend who is willing to help us with this.  This past Friday night Aunt Vickie came to the house and stayed with the kids so that we could get a weekend away for Tony's birthday. 

Tony and I left and drove to Overland Park where we had hotel reservations.  Our plans were to go to the Kansas City Auto Show Saturday and relax.  We got up Saturday morning, had breakfast and headed to the convention center.  I have to say, after many years going with my dad to the Detroit Auto Show, the Kansas City Auto Show was small in comparison.  The most important thing though is that I enjoyed the time with my wonderful hubby.

Looking at the cost of a lot of the cars, especially the "luxury" cars, I kept thinking about how many children that much money could feed!

After we left the auto show we drove to Zona Rosa and went to Lifeway!  I love to go to Lifeway!!!  We bought some CDs and some books.  I started reading, "Life Interrupted," by Priscilla Shirer and I have to say - this is an AWESOME book!!!!!  I hope to share more about this book after I finish it.  I've already read eight chapters!!!  We then left and went to Chick-Fil-A for lunch!!  YUMMMMMY!!!!!

We went and rested back in our room for a while before heading out to Cheesecake Factory for dinner.  I had been wanting to go to Cheesecake Factory for quite a while and it has just never worked out for me.  Tony's been a couple of times and I always gave him a hard time about it.  Now, I can't give him a hard time any more since we went for his birthday dinner.  All I have to say is - WOW!!!  There were so many food choices and just as many choices as to different varieties of cheesecake.  I ended up having the Chicken Di Pana and it was so good and fork tender!  Their mashed potatoes were absolutely wonderful!  Then came time to decide what cheesecake we wanted.  I had such a hard time deciding, but finally ended up deciding on an original cheesecake with strawberries.  Oh. my. goodness!!!  It was soooooo good!!  I left there absolutely stuffed!

We got up early this morning and headed home so that Aunt Vickie could have time to prepare for her work trip tomorrow.  The kids did well while we were gone, for which I'm very grateful.  With our kids you just never know what one day will bring!

Happy birthday, honey!  I hope you enjoyed your birthday weekend away!!!!!!

No comments: