8iRWeiXjcKj9kUz5Tebo4_k_FtY Life with Two Special Needs Children: The Adoption Process is Not for the Faint of Heart

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Adoption Process is Not for the Faint of Heart

Adoption is not an easy task by any stretch of the imagination.  You would think that since it has been 11 years since we first began the adoption process that I would remember that.  But no, it still gets very frustrating - even after all of these years because of all the various people and processes and hoops that adoptive families have to jump through.

It makes it all the more difficult when the professionals sit on paperwork for months on end and then papers get "magically lost" in oblivion.  Our Little Guy's adoption really shouldn't be this difficult; however, it seems like every time we turn around we're getting pushed backwards!  I'm so ready to have his adoption final so that we can legally be his parents and not have to get permission for every little thing, getting permission to go out of state, or have to write down every time I give him Tylenol or take him to the doctor and have to remember to make sure the doctor fills out the External Services Form and do monthly reports at the end of each month.  I just want to be his Mom - free and clear of the State and the placement agency!  Is that so bad?!?!?!?!?!?

Now, we're being told that we may need to put everything on hold  until after his appointment with the Developmental Pediatrician in October to see if she does, in fact, give him a diagnosis of Cerebral Palsy, so that they can apply for SSI for him prior to our finalization.  I don't want to wait that long!!!!  (Picture me stomping my feet!)   I have an e-mail into our attorney letting him know the latest information we're being told and asking his advice.  We'll see what he has to say.

I'm trying very hard to be patient, but it's not working out very well!  I just want to be done!!!!!!

No comments: