8iRWeiXjcKj9kUz5Tebo4_k_FtY Life with Two Special Needs Children: Ten Years Ago - On Pins and Needles

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ten Years Ago - On Pins and Needles

Ten years ago, Tony and I were anxiously awaiting that phone call every in the process-adoptive parents wait for - whether the birthmother you are matched with is in labor.

It was a very stressful time for us because Caleb's birthmother in the six weeks that we were in contact with her moved three times without telling us until after the fact and only called when she needed something.  It was so difficult being so far away (we were in North Carolina - she was in California) and not knowing what was going on.

Based on our previous failed adoption experience, we (well, mostly me) jumped to the conclusion that she was changing her mind!  I remember spending a long time one day on the phone with our counselor at our adoption agency telling her that I couldn't go on, I wanted to unmatch because of the lack of contact and the fact that she moved so much and didn't tell us or call us until she needed something.  Our counselor calmed me down that day and told me to be patient, that we only had a short period of time to know what was going to happen.

I am so thankful that our counselor calmed my nerves!

No comments: