8iRWeiXjcKj9kUz5Tebo4_k_FtY Life with Two Special Needs Children: Book Review" "A Farmer's Daughter: Recipes from a Mennonite Kitchen" by Dawn Stoltzfus

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Book Review" "A Farmer's Daughter: Recipes from a Mennonite Kitchen" by Dawn Stoltzfus

I was excited to receive another cookbook from Revell Books to review.  (I'm sure my husband is happy that I stumbled on this reviewing things because then I'm not spending money on cookbooks all the time since I'm such a cookbook junkie!)

Things have been very hectic and crazy at our house the past few weeks, so I have not had the time that I would have liked to sit and read through the little stories that Ms. Stoltzfus put with a lot of the recipes, but the one that I read with the recipe that I chose to make as part of this review was very cute!

As I was looking at the recipes in this book, I noticed that most of them looked to be fairly easy to put together and that is something that I need, especially with as busy as things can get for us.  And as someone who loves home-cooked, country type cooking, this is definitely the cookbook for you!

I decided to try the Toasted Butter Pecan Cake and it was absolutely wonderful!!!!

Here is the recipe:

Toasted  Butter Pecan Cake

2 cups pecans, copped
1 cup salted butter, softened
2 cups raw or white sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp. almond extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup milk

Frosting
16 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup salted butter, softened
5 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp. almond extract
1-2 Tbsp. milk

Preheat oven to 350 deg. F.  Place chopped pecans on a cookie sheet and toast for 10-15 minutes.  Let cool.  In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.  Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Add almond extract.  Add flour, baking powder, salt, and milk; beat just until combined.  Fold in 1 cup of toasted pecans.  Pour into 3 greased 8-inch round baking pans or 2 greased 9-inch round baking pans.  Bake for 22-28 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Do not over bake.  Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans.  

For frosting, in a large mixing bowl beat cream cheese, butter, powered sugar, and almond extract.  Add enough milk to achieve the frosting consistency you like.  Frost cake and sprinkle remaining toasted pecans on top.  Serves 14-16.

Now, I do not have round pans, so I made mine in a 9x13" pan and baked it for 10 more minutes and it turned out really good!


No comments: