8iRWeiXjcKj9kUz5Tebo4_k_FtY Life with Two Special Needs Children: November, November, the never ending November

Thursday, November 29, 2012

November, November, the never ending November

This month seems like it was never going to come to an end. It started with me looking at having more than 30 appointments, meetings, conference calls, therapy sessions, and testing sessions on top of all of the normal day to day activities that need to be done, like cooking, cleaning, dishes and laundry. I knew I was going to be run down by the time the end of the month rolled around. And the end of the month sure did seem to take FOREVER to get here.

Here I sit on November 29th and have one more day to get through and it's a doozie of a day. Tomorrow morning we go and receive Caleb's neuropscyh evaluation report. This was the testing that we did three years ago, that gave us such an accurate picture of our Munchkin and has enabled us to get much more assistance with respect to his care. For that we are very, VERY grateful. We hope to learn that things have pretty much leveled off with Caleb and no more regression has happened, although we see some things where we believe there has been. But this doctor is very knowledgeable, thorough and I know, without a doubt, that the results that we receive tomorrow will be accurate and the doctor will have put in a lot of time and thought and looked very close at all of the data. I shared with him my concerns about Caleb's short-term memory (or lack thereof) and am anxious to see what he has to say about that. Once we get this report, I will send it to the Genetics Counselor, who will then send it to the Geneticist we have been working with for their review and to see if there is anything they want to proceed with.

I had a lengthy telephone conference to review Cassidy's treatment plan this afternoon. They believe that some small baby steps have been made in her behaviors. I know it is not something that is going to change overnight. I am just hopeful that with the changes that the State is making in the medicare system, she can continue with her treatment as long as necessary.

Steven has had two days of testing this week at the public school for his IEP comprehensive evaluation. It was so hard leaving him at school that first day. He had never been there, didn't know anyone and I just had to drop him off and leave him for three hours. I know the school psychologist and the OT that he was going to be working with, as they were both there when Caleb and Cassidy were in the same preschool. Poor little guy screamed when I left that day. He did much better about me leaving the second day. We meet on the 14th of December to determine what type of special education services he will receive.  I will be very surprised if he does not qualify for four days a week of preschool.  We are planning on keeping him at our church's Kids Day Inn program, which is a mom's day out program one day a week, as that keeps him in the community and he enjoys it and is doing well.

So that's been our month.  I'm hoping December is not nearly as busy as November!!!  I seriously need a vacation!!!!!

No comments: